12.11.06

Ted Haggard and the 'Cause of Christ'

A friend of mine loaned me a copy of this month's Newsweek International and recommended I read it. I was also told by someone else that the cover story was on American Evangelicalism and that it was probably the best article on the religious scene in America that has been written in a while. I thought the article was very good and because I have been out of the country for almost five years now I suppose I found it particularly interesting. As I was reading the article I came across a quote from James Dobson concerning the tragic Ted Haggard events of the past weeks. Dobson was quoted as saying that the cause of Christ would be greatly affected by these revelations. Now I have to say that I think I understand what he meant and of course I would want to give Dobson as generous a reading as I would any other author I come across but I instinctively wanted to yell at the magazine article, "What are you talking about? The cause of Christ is NOT going to be affected!" I suppose this reaction is indicative of a hobby-horse I ride often. It seems to me that the cause of Christ is just that 'of Christ.' I have to believe that God is the kind of God who is able to accomplish his purposes (or in this case his cause) regardless of my failings. Since when did we start putting our faith in man? I didn't feel particularly stumbled by Haggard's announcement and I think that is particularly because I am very aware of our fallen nature (Christian or not). Dobson's comment (maybe I should say comments like Dobson's because I wouldn't want to assume his intentions) presupposes that non-Christians should look at the life of Christians as evidence for the truth of Christianity. I think this is a mistake. We ought not believe because our religion works (even though I believe it does), we believe because God has met us in such a way that we can't help but believe (after all isn't faith a gift?). If our faith isn't founded on the evidence of other Chritians' good works, then when they stumble our faith is not compromised. It seems to me that if we were more honest with unbelievers about our own sinfulness and the fact that God is gracious to us despite this, then the 'cause of Christ' would not be hindered when Christians mess up (as they will do). Sanctification doesn't happen over night but takes at least a life time. We live in hope that God will continue his sanctifying work so that we are continually being made more into the likeness of his son day by day.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm not sure I could make it to sanctification in three life times... your words ring so true, though. I got to thinking about that exact issue last week. What if we were honest about our fallibility... what would happen? I've heard far too many wise cracks this week about the next Christian figurehead who's in bed with someone... and probably well deserved in a way. My heart is broken over much of it... for a number of different reasons.

Anonymous said...

Quoting devotional by Henry M. Morris, Ph.D.:
A GOOD NAME
"A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth".
(Ecclesiastes 7:1)
It seems odd at first that Soloman would link these two maxims together. How is the day of death better than birth, and what has this to do with the value of one's good name? The great king had once enjoyed a name synonymous with godliness and great wisdom, but his name had eventually become so sullied with the excesses of wealth and fleshly indulgence that he began to long even for death. It is a tragic thing for godly people to allow their good names to be ruined by careless carnality, thenceforth never to be able to fulfill the promise their lives once seemed to carry. Solomon could employ all the most costly ointments and other comforts to ease his declining years, but they could never redeem his good name. "A GOOD NAME IS RATHER TO BE CHOSEN THAN GREAT RICHES, AND LOVING FAVOR RATHER THAN SILVER AND GOLD. THE RICH AND POOR MEET TOGETHER: THE LORD IS THE MAKER OF THEM ALL" (Proverbs 22:1-2)
The Christian believer has a double incentive to maintain a good name, of course, for his words and deeds inevitably reflect, for good or ill, on the name of Christ as well. When we cause our own names to be damaged, we also (as David did) give "GREAT OCCASION TO THE ENEMIES OF THE LORD TO BLASPHEME" (II Samuel 12:14), and there are, sadly, many such enemies eagerly watching for us to give them yet another occasion to "BLASPHEME THAT WORTHY NAME BY THE WHICH YE ARE CALLED" (James 2:7).
In a very real sense, of course, even those who do maintain a good name all their lives can joyfully anticipate the day of death. Christ has promised: "I WILL WRITE UPON HIM THE NAME OF MY GOD...AND I WILL WRITE UPON HIM MY NEW NAME" (Revelation 3:12). That will, indeed, be a "GOOD NAME" and one we will enjoy forever!